Sunday, July 12, 2009

Labor & Delivery

I'm posting this for my own journaling but you are welcome to read... I was scheduled to be induced on July 13th one week prior to my due date. I had a Drs. appt on July 8th and I was dilated to a 4 but I always dilate early. I felt like he was going to come early but I didn't feel well for the 2 weeks prior and I was tired of getting my hopes up so I just figured Franklin was going to wait to come until I was induced. I worked hard all week getting my house clean, laundry done, taking the car in, opening a new bank account, grocery shopping, you name it- I did it. I finally felt like my errands were mostly done and I was going to enjoy my last few days at the pool with Avaree and Weston or so I thought. I think my body or Franklin new that I felt ready! My water broke at 12:45 a.m. That was the first time my water has broken! I couldn't sleep and was tossing and turning in bed and sure enough I felt a gush! I was shaking and nervous about what was about to happen. I couldn't concentrate to pack my bag but I threw some things together, woke Jason up because he had just taken a sleeping pill... yep, he drove me to the hospital on ambien! My contractions had started and the lady at the front desk was so slow to check me in. I was a little frusterated because I knew that I was already dilated to a 4, in the past I progressed fast, I wanted to be sure and get an epidural because I have tough deliveries, and I was praying that my Dr. would make it. She actually had the nerve to ask me if my water really broke or if it was just a trickle?? My pants were soaking wet as I stood there! They finally got me in a room and I made Jason go get the nurse. The nurse came in and it was the same nurse who helped deliver Weston. She said that it was the first time she has ever helped deliver 2 from the same family! They checked me and I was about to a 7 so they gave me an epidural and in no time I was to a 9, then 10, then ready to push. They did call my Dr. and he made it just in time. I was so grateful because it is the same Dr. who delivered Avaree and Weston and the Dr. on call didn't even know what position Franklin was in before I delivered. Every delivery I've had I manage to get my babies crowning and then they get stuck. I pushed for 3 hours with Avaree and 1 1/2 hours with Weston and both times they ended up using a vacuum and having another Dr. pushing on stomach. They didn't mess around this time. I got Franklin to crowning and they used the vacuum and had the other Dr. push on my stomach right away. It was awesome! He was here so fast! Frankie was born at 3:33 a.m. on July 9th, weighing 6 lbs 1 oz, measuring 20 inches long. He was born an hour and half after checking in. I knew he was coming fast. It's a good thing my babies are small too... Avaree was 6.2 and Weston was 6.8. The Dr. doesn't think I could deliver more than a 7 lb baby and I'm so glad I haven't had to have C sections. My Dr. is the best! It is such a relief to see a healthy, perfect baby for the first time!! I feel so blessed. It was nice having him in the middle of night because I got a lot of alone time with the baby. Jason was able to stay awake for the delivery and crashed right after! I'm still trying to catch up from missing a whole nights sleep but it is totally worth it. There is nothing better than a sweet, cuddly newborn!


summer said...

SO glad it was an easy delivery... it has given me some hope! I am nervous!

Uriona Family said...

I am so happy for you guys. :)

My water broke with Dax and I literally called the nurse while I was sitting on the toilet and said "I think my water broke because water won't stop coming" She said, "I am pretty sure you should be on your way instead of sitting there".....20 hours later (3.5 hours of pushing) Dax arrived. Tess was fast like Franklin, I hope this next one goes fast like Tess and Franklin.

Rick Sunderlage said...

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing how it all progressed! I'm so glad it went well and fast for you. I can't wait to see him. My favorite picture is of him stretching- I just love that!

janet said...

You are going to be so glad to have it all written down. The details are easily forgotten. I am so glad it was a quick delivery-- especially the pushing. It's amazing you can carry 6 lbs babies!

And seriously, I can't believe you were able to wake up Jason after a sleeping pill. Props to him for staying away until the delivery. I had Luke at 2 am and loved those first few hours when it was just the two of us awake!

val said...

you DO have beautiful babies although that's no shock. you looked so beautiful in the hospital with him when i came to sneak a peak.
glad he's here safe and sound and i wish for you lots of rest and snuggling with your sweet new guy.
when can i bring you a meal?