Wednesday, June 30, 2010

no more peanuts

it was a scary day...

Here is the whole story for documentation... I needed to make a Costco run. I was planning to make 8 freezer meals of Thai Peanut Chicken to exchange for my freezer meal group. Since I am SO lucky and have older kids that can babysit- Griffin, Weston and I ran to Costco while Baylee, Avaree, and Franklin stayed home. Franklin was napping when I left. I told Baylee, "he'll be hungry when he wakes up. He can have a jam sandwich." In my mind, I thought jam only because I hadn't given him peanut butter yet because he was still under a year but I didn't clarify no peanut butter and honestly he was turning one the following week. So I went to Costco and on my way home I got a call from Baylee, she said, "I think Avaree accidentally kicked Frankie in the eye because his eye is swelling up." I personally wasn't too worried about it because there was nothing I could do and I was on my way home. Then about 5 minutes later I got another call... Baylee and Avaree were both crying, Baylee said, "both of Franklin's eyes are swelling up. I am watching them grow as we speak. I think it's an allergic reaction." I said, "what did you feed him?" She said, "a peanut butter and jelly sandwich." So I pulled over to call the dr (so I wouldn't cut out while I was driving) to see what I should do. The nurse said to give him some childrens benadryl and watch his breathing, if he seems to be having a hard time breathing then I should take him to the ER. She didn't seem too worried though. So I drove home and was trying to prepare myself for what he may look like. I knew it had to be bad enough for Baylee and Avaree to be crying over his appearance. I walked in the door and it was bad! Franklin's eyes were completely swollen shut. He couldn't even see out of them. I gave him benadryl and tried to stay calm! I called my husband to come home no matter what to give him a blessing! And of course he didn't answer so I called my father in law. Then I started researching reactions online and decided that by the look of him I better take him in. He seemed to be breathing okay but he was swollen, his whole body was discolored and covered in hives. Baylee had already made that decision for me and had packed the diaper bag. I got a hold of Jason and told him to meet me at the ER. On the way to the ER, Franklin didn't make a noise! It was freaking me out because his car seat was behind my seat and I couldn't see him very well. I just kept talking to him but I couldn't help but wonder if he was still breathing?! By the time I arrived to the ER, Jason was there. He was shocked by the looks of Franklin! I actually thought he was looking better and the benadryl was working. Jason rushed him in while I parked the car. Then still staying pretty calm, I checked him in then went around the corner to his room to find Franklin hooked up to iv's and at least 10 people frantically working on him, and Jason crying. What a scary moment as a Mother! The thought of losing him was more than I could bare or even the thought of how close it was! They pumped him full of meds and fortunately got the reaction under control. They told me the benadryl I had given him could have saved his life. His tongue had started to swell and they were really worried about his throat closing. Franklin was such a trooper. We had to wait around the hospital to make sure everything was working before we were released and they warned me that I was in for it, that the meds were going to make him really grumpy and he'd probably start pulling at the iv's, etc but he was a complete angel. He maybe fussed for a moment but he sat and drank his bottle and fell asleep in my arms. They had to give him another dose after a couple of hours because he was still really red and swollen. We were released after 6 hours. We had a tremendous amount of support from friends, family and Jason's employees. We had six priesthood holders there in a moments time to give him a blessing. I truly feel like we were watched over that day. I'm so glad I was on my way home, grateful for cell phones, children's benadryl (that I had just randomly boughten a couple weeks prior), Baylee and Griffin to be there with my other children, priesthood blessings, etc. They think the reaction was to peanut butter. I still need to get him tested from an allergist to be sure but for now I carry an epipen on me and peanut butter is no longer at our house. We love peanut butter too. I crave it all the time. Most of my favorite things contain pb... I find it ironic that I was going to make Thai Peanut Chicken that day too? Anyway, I'm so grateful for my healthy baby and all my children. You just never know.

p.s. The pictures taken above were hours after the medication had been in him... you can just imagine. The last 2 pictures were taken a full 24 hours after and he was still swollen. he looks like a little sumo wrestler or asian baby. so cute under every circumstance.


janet said...

How scary, Kar! I am so glad everything was okay! He is such a sweetheart.

val said...

oh my gosh. i'm in tears just reading this. so glad he's ok and that everything happened as it did. so happy your sweet baby is ok!