Saturday, June 7, 2008

In Memory Of Darrick

Sorry my blog has been so depressing this week but this was another big event in our life. 3 years ago today we lost Jason's little brother Darrick to a drug overdose. Darrick was my age. He was 25 when he died. He is actually Jason's step brother but they were raised together and always considered themselves real brothers. Jason has a lot of memories growing up with Darrick. They were the toughest kids on the block and were always finding ways to get into mischief together. Darrick had a big heart and we miss him at every family event. Fortunately, we still get to see his beautiful daughter, Madeline, and she looks just like him!

(Another blurry picture) I am just going to quickly speak out on drug addiction because it is so harmful. I've seen first hand the effects it has had on peoples lives and it has brought them nothing but harm. I'm so grateful for the Word of Wisdom. I know my life has been blessed for obeying it (staying away from drugs and alcohol) and I pray that I can teach my children the importance of it. If anyone out there is struggling with addiction... please try to overcome it before it is too late!

I had to put this picture up for laughs. Check out that hair! It cracks me up and you gotta love Jason's oversized purple shirt. WE MISS YOU DARRICK! We miss your jokes, your witty comments, and charming smile!!

8 comments:

janet said...

great post, karlin. You guys have really been dealing with SO MUCH these past few years! I think it's great what you said about drug addiction and love that you are so real about it.

That picture of Jason cracked me up! His hair is poofy! and tell him he looks sexy in purple.

SUMMER said...

Oh Kar! I just updated myself on all your posts. That was a really sweet tribute to your mom. I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet her. She had a BIG heart and positive outlook on life. I know she watches over you every day. I can't believe what happened to Baylee's friend! I have heard a few things lately that are really putting things into perspective that we should never take anything for granted. And I had no idea about Jason's brother... so sad!!! Drugs are horrible and we are told to stay away from them for a reason!!! XOXO

karlin said...

Hey Sum... it was good to hear from you. I don't know if you remember but you actually took the picture of my Mom and I in matching shirts and I love it. I was bad at taking pictures back then so I'm so glad you took that one.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on drug addiction. Working in the hospital is just another addition to my testimony of the word of wisdom.
The sad thing is that it can affect anyone. Even our brothers or friends. It just goes to show how important communication and being an example is for our kids.

karlin said...

Amen Janessa.

Di said...

That is so sad. I have a sister who has struggled with drug addiction and it's so hard to see her go through it. I pray everyday that she can some day overcome it. I too am thankful for the Word of Wisdom!

Roney Family said...

Man friend, I am so sorry to hear about everything. You guys are super strong!!! Good luck with all that you are going through!

Jill Bowcutt said...

I just read through all the posts that I haven't seen yet. I went from choking up from the tribute to your mom (which was probably so hard to write) to seriously laughing my head off seeing Avaree as a Zebra. Thanks for the entertainment today. You brought out all of my emotions in a matter of seconds!