Friday, September 12, 2008

I am living off of...

garden fresh tomatoes and peaches!
We just buy them at the local fruit stands around town and they are delish! We actually attempt to grow our own tomatoes every year but they never turn out. I don't know why we keep trying. Well I do know... because I love them! So I thought I would share my favorite ways to eat tomatoes. My fave is a tomato cheese sandwich. Here's how you make them...
slice of white bread
spread miracle whip or mayo on top (I use miracle whip)
slice the tomato (and it HAS to be garden fresh. It's the only way I will eat them. They are usually better peeled too. The skin comes right off.)
put the tomato slices on the bread with a little salt and pepper.
slice cheddar cheese and put on top of the tomato.
Broil in the oven until cheese is melted.
Yummy!!
Has anyone ever had one??
I also LOVE to eat my fresh tomatoes with cottage cheese, cucumbers, and salt and pepper.

My favorite way to eat peaches is like cereal... peeled, cut up, with a little milk and sugar. I would like to learn how to make peach pie this year but we'll see if I get around to it. I'm also enjoying the pears and apples. This is definitely the time of year when I eat the healthiest, when the fruits and veggies are fresh and home grown.

8 comments:

janet said...

Yum! My mouth was watering while reading that. I really, really miss my dad's garden!!

We grew up on tomato cheese sandwiches, but used my mom's whole wheat bread (and no mayo) I love them! When I was pregnant with Zack, that's the only thing I wanted for the first couple of months.. Aaron thought I was crazy, but you're right, they totally have to be fresh garden tomatoes!

Can't wait to see you on Wed!

Keri said...

hey- i'm living off tomatoes and peaches too! our new place is just a few blocks from a farmers market, so Blake and I walk there every morning to buy more. I love this time of year - - ONLY for the fresh fruits and veggies, NOT the weather!

Tracy the GREAT said...

Yummy! Tomato sandwich (I call it broiler)- I have done the same thing, except shredded cheese and chopped tomatoes and I mixed it all together then spread it on bread and bake. AWESOME! I'll try it your way next time. COME OVER. I have peaches RIGHT NOW. Maybe tomorrow we can make pie!!!!! Call me. I have everything we need.

Kelly Nordfelt said...

I love tomatoes from the garden! They grow like weeds here in my backyard. I have way too many. Want some?

Francine said...

Amen!

val said...

Love tomatoe cheese toasts. And I love eating peaches like cereal too. We're twinners!

Di said...

I'm obsessed with garden fresh tomatoes! I will have to try your sandwich and peach cereal... thanks!

Tracy said...

I feel like I could've wrote this post myself! I'm in full agreement on all points made except I don't put miracle whip on my tomato cheese broiler sandwiches (my mum always called it an "open-faced sandwich").