Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Making Progress

I feel kind of silly after my "overwhelming" post but I'm sure we all face different trials in our lives that overwhelm us at times. That is Heavenly Father's way of keeping us humble, right? I am always humbled when I think about some of the trials my Mom faced while she was living and then I truly feel silly for feeling sorry for myself. She was a single mother (truly alone), working full time (all the financial responsibility was on her), raising children, and she was the one facing major health problems without an end in sight (I'd much rather be the worried nurse). The most amazing part was you'd never know the pressure she was under. She was happy because she understood what was important in this life and that was what she focused on. I'm so glad I have her example to remember. She continues to make me a better, stronger person each day even though she has passed on.

Jason made progress today. I'm so excited. His Xray looks good and I finally feel we are on the road to recovery. His spasms haven't been as bad and he is looking a little better. Honestly, there were a few days there where I didn't know what to think but I have hope after today. My children are acting up a bit. Avaree asked me tonight when I put her to bed, "Mom, when will dad stop being sick?" "I don't like him sick anymore." I know it is affecting her. It is her bday tomorrow and I'm looking forward to spending some time with her and celebrating her sweet life. Okay, enough deep thoughts from me for now. Here is to making progress!!

8 comments:

Tracy the GREAT said...

What would we do without good people/examples? (Your mom) We all need someone to help us remember we may not have it as badly as we often think..... It's still HARD though to make it through! So glad Jason's making good progress. I'll bet you are an amazing nurse!

Sara Decker said...

Oh Karlin, I haven't read your blog in over a week and I just got all caught up. I wish I was there to help and give you support. You are so strong. I'm glad to hear that progress is now being made. We will keep your family in our prayers. If we can help, let us know.

janet said...

So glad to hear there has been some progress! You have just had too much on your plate! I don't know how you do it, girl!

I was thinking of you and your mom yesterday while reading a book called The Last Lecture. Have you heard of it? Val recommended it to me and I will send it to you when I am done because it's so good! Anyway, it's written by a father is/college professor who dying of cancer.. and it's the last things he wants his children to know. He has three YOUNG children and left behind his loving wife to raise them. He says that he learned from his father something very important-- and I quote, "Kids-- more than anything else-- need to know that their parents love them. And their parents don't have to be alive for that to happen."

I cried when I read this because your mother left a legacy of love and set SUCH a great example for all of you to follow. If there is one thing that you KNOW, it's that your mom adored you. She is aware of what you are going through and knows you can handle it. You WILL get through and you will be a better person for it and a stronger example for your kids to follow. I am sure Avaree (and Weston) are aware that their dad is sick, and MUST see how much you love him and how much you are serving him right now!

Love you! Keep up the good work!

And HAPPY birthday to Avaree!

kim said...

I am so glad that Jason is doing better. I haven't read your blog in a few weeks, so it was shocking to go back and see all of the posts. You are probably dealing with as much pain as he is, the stress and all of that.
My Caden's birthday was the 24th. I didn't realize their birthday's were a day apart. Happy Birthday to Averee! Hang in there.

Francine said...

We wish Jason could have joined us for the circus last night, but it was fun to be with the rest of you to celebrate Avaree's birthday. I love when you talk about your mom. I know she is always watching over you, but I'm sure she's been especially close with Jason's surgery and Avaree's birthday. Hang in there. Love you.

Me said...

Karlin,

I'm so sorry you are going through all of this right now. I hope Jason continues to heal. You guys are amazing, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers!

Brooke said...

So glad that you are starting to see (and feel) some progress with Jason's recovery. What a draining process- hang in there!

Tiffany said...

I am glad Jason is doing a bit better. Please let us know if there is anyway to help you guys out. We will keep you in our prayers. Love ya guys! You are an amazingly strong woman.