Thursday, September 18, 2008

Back Surgery

I just thought I would quickly update everyone on Jason's surgery. He did it! The poor man officially has rods and screws and plastic cages and crushed bone in his back. He has been really brave and I must say that I've tried to be even though I started out whoozy just watching them put his first IV in. I don't know what my deal was because I'm used to IV's from previous surgeries, having babies, and watching my Mom get chemo. I guess it was a mixture of nervousness and an empty stomach. I definitely could not be a surgeon or nurse for that matter. Anyway surgery went well and quicker than I expected (only 2 hours.) He still has a few hang ups. They are worried about his blood pressure, some prostate issues, and he has some permament leg damage where he's lost a little feeling. But as far the back pain, which I think is the cause of the blood pressure and prostate issues, he should be on the road to recovery. It's been a REAL ROUGH day though. Much worse than either of us anticipated. He's been in a lot of PAIN and can NOT get releif. They switched his pain meds (right before I left the hospital) and are giving it to him by a shot in his behind. I hope he can get some sleep tonight. Poor guy. They were hoping that he would be able to get up for a little bit today but he's been hurting too bad to move at all. He hasn't eaten either which is NOT like him. Hopefully each day will get better. He's tough but to be honest... I'm a little nervous and tired. It's been a long day and it's no fun to see someone you love in pain. I miss my kids too (and my Mom). Fortunately, I have some wonderful friends and family who are happily helping me in our time of need. Thanks for all your prayers and support. Now I need to get to bed. It's past midnight and I have another full day tomorrow. It just felt good to write about what's going on.

8 comments:

The Shupe Ohana said...

wow, karlin what a scary surgery! i hope he is doing better today and that he will be able to feel some relief, he is such a great guy, and it is so hard to see the one you love be in so much pain! let me know if i can do anything?
susie

Brooke said...

I wish him the best with his recovery. Hopefully today he will begin to feel better. Please LET ME KNOW if there is anything I can do to help. I'd be happy to watch the kids for awhile if you need it.

Sunny said...

Hang in there.. . . I wish we could be there to help. Give him our best and we hope he'll have a quick recovery!

Anonymous said...

That is a tough surgery. I hope that they get his pain under control. That is the hardest thing to do as a nurse. Good luck. Each day with a little physical therapy he should get better.

kennyandkristin said...

I am glad to hear that surgery went well. Hopefully today thas been better. We will continue to keep Jason and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

Tracy the GREAT said...

It's all going to be okay. You're mom is helping you thorugh other people, just like our Savior helps us through other people. She is here with you and rooting for you! She would never leave you alone for something like this. Even though you can't see her, she is with you. You are an amazing woman, mother, wife. You are so strong. We all appreciate your example and courage. It's okay that you're hurting for him. You don't have to be strong every minute. We're here for you and praying for you!

Jana said...

Lots of prayers for Jason and your family. It will get better! Let me know how I can help!

Cathy said...

I am glad that the surgery went well and hopefully his recovery starts to speed up and I'm sure he will make a full recovery.