Thursday, October 2, 2008

2 weeks

It's been 2 weeks today since Jason's surgery. The first week was kind of a blur... actually a week I think we both want to forget but he has made huge progress this week. He still can't move much or sit or bend or twist or lift but I think the most painful part is over with so that is exciting and as long as he doesn't pass out on me again while he is in the shower (which by the way was one of the scariest moments of my life) I think we are going to survive!! I'm posting just a few pictures from the hospital because who really wants their picture taken when you are in the worst pain of your life??

This picture was taken right before his surgery at least he was still smiling because I wasn't.

One of our friends, Tara Jackson, just happens to be a nurse where Jason had his surgery. We were so grateful to have her around! She made sure we received extra good care. She arranged for us to have a private room and I was releived to have someone I trusted to discuss my concerns with.

Going on a walk and when you are in as much pain as he was you don't care if you are showing some shoulder or even some bum crack for that matter!

Avaree my little nurse. I came in my room the other day to find Jason surrounded by stuffed animals.


Warning! Explicit picture below...

OUCH! and I've got to change his bandage. Some of this stuff I'm not sure I signed up for but I'd do it again if I had to.

Jason was anxious to get out of the house yesterday so we took the kids to the park for a little bit and he was able to walk around. I'm nervous that he is going to over do it as he feels increasingly better. He needs to take it s l o w.

I just wanted to write down a few things he said that cracked me up that first week. It was the pain meds talking...

~He put the oxygen thing on his head and asked me if I liked his sunglasses?

~When we want on his first walk... you had to of seen him... using a walker, barely shuffling his feet, wearing cute hospital attire with funny stockings, he said "I can walk, let's go to the mall." If you know Jason at all he NEVER goes to the mall.

~Out of no where he asked me "which dish detergent do you like?" What??

~We were gathered around his bedside for family prayer and right as we were about to pray Jason said to Baylee and Griffin "how was school?" We all just looked at eachother like what is he saying and had a good laugh.

~Jason asked for the phone and I said, "who are you going to call?" he replied totally serious, "the ghostbusters."

~My favorite was he would ALWAYS tell every nurse "Thank you very much. I really appreciate it." Those were his words exactly. He did and said a lot more funny things that you had to of been there for but I just thought I would share those few that came to my mind. Fortunately he is slowly becoming Jason again! He does have a good sense of humor though which is a must in times like this.


12 comments:

Jill Bowcutt said...

Oh my gosh! Jared just told me about Jason's surgery so I thought I'd check you're blog to see how you were. I am so sorry! I can't imagine how hard that must be to see him in so much pain, not to mention all the extra stress. I hope things get better real fast. You're such a good wife.

lyn said...

You're such a good wife! I'm so glad you wrote down some of the funny moments, they'll be great later! I'll keep yall in my prayers for a speedy & healthy recovery!

Tracy the GREAT said...

Wow- you are amazing! I'm so glad you got out to the park. A little fresh air can go a long way! I am so grateful I do not have a cut like that on my back! Ouch. Do you need dinner yet? :) :) :)

janet said...

You posted a TON of pictures! I am surprised. Jason looks hot in a hospital gown, especially with the shoulder showing. So, where is the bum shot?

And I am dying to know WHAT is your favorite dish detergent?

SO funny! You might be feeling guilty blogging with EVERYTHING else you have to do, but this stuff is priceless and will be treasured to look back on. You are my idol, Karly!

Danielle said...

YAY!!! Glad to hear things are getting better!

SUMMER said...

My fave is the "What kind of dish detergent do you like?" Ha!!!! Kind of like "Hey... do you guys like Goldfish?" He's the best~

kennyandkristin said...

Glad to hear that he is doing better. I can't believe that picture of his back. Also, love that you are documenting all of this. One day he will thank you for it.

val said...

i'm so glad you have a blog so i can check in on you guys and make sure you're ok.
i totally cracked up at the things he said. great to have those things written down for when you need a laugh.
jason is SUCH a good sport to let you pull out your camera so much.
we're still praying for your family...

cory and tara said...

So glad to hear that this week has been better!! That is great to see that he is up and walking around at the park. I had to laugh at the part where Jason kept saying thanks and "I really appreciate it" to all the nurses. I did hear him say that quite a few times. But that's great, we love to hear that from our patients! Hang in there Jason and Karlin!
p.s He passed out in the shower!?!!

Newmans said...

SO glad to hear that things have gotten so much better! You really are a trooper to go through all this and come out with your sanity!

Newmans said...

Oh, we are looking for a home in your neck of the woods . . sandy, draper, lehi, etc.

Tiffany said...

Oh my gosh, i was sitting in class reading this post and nearly laughed out loud a few times. I had to keep it in. Hilarious. Glad you guys (jason for sure!) are doing better. I will have to have Greg read this post for sure!