Thursday, December 20, 2007

Happy Birthday to my Mom!

Today my Mom would be turning 54. She was named Karol because the first night my Grandparents brought her home from the hospital, Christmas carolers came to their door. I love Christmas time! I love the spirit and feeling of Christmas. I love the excitement. I love how we have a WHOLE month to celebrate Christ's birth, to focus on him and his sacrifice and to try harder to become more Christlike. I also love Christmas because I feel so close to my Mom... as I think about her and her birthday and as I try to carry on the Christmas traditions she raised me with. I have so many good memories of her at this time of year. For the past five years, I have not made it through the song "Christmas Shoes" without crying. The song just hits too close to home. It's about a little boy who is buying his Mom a pair of shoes because he wants her to look beautiful in case she meets Jesus that night. There is a line in that song that says "Mom always made Christmas good at our home, most years she just did without." That was SO my Mom. She always made Christmas time so special. And when I say went "without" she really did. She would sacrifice anything for her children. She was the most Christlike person I knew. I feel so blessed to have her as my Mom and that I have her example to follow, as well as my Saviors.

These aren't the best pictures because I don't have a scanner, so I just took a picture of them with my camera but wasn't she a cute little girl?? I LOVE this picture! Can anyone see Avaree or Weston in her?

This picture was taken the day before she passed away. She was really beautiful, even with no make up, a bandana and an oxygen tank. Oh... how I miss her!

9 comments:

val said...

Happy Birthday Karol! Your mom was gorgeous and so cute as a little girl. I love the picture of all of you with bandanas on. It put a lump in my throat. I'm sure her spirit will be felt this Christmas.

RaeLynn said...

What a sweet tribute to your Mother. I loved the picture of all of you in bandanas too. I am positive that your mom is proud of you, Karlin.

Tracy said...

I can see where you, your siblings and your kids all get their cuteness from! Your mom was an adorable child!

Extraordinary Housewife said...

Oh how I loved your mom. I think of her often and miss her. She was such a special aunt to me.

Sunny said...

She truly was the best. I can't tell you how much I miss her too. What a great example to all of us - and always one of my FAVORITE aunts. She'd be so proud of how you are raising Bailey and Griff. (and Avaree and Weston too!) Love you guys!

janet said...

What a great tribute to her, Karlin. I always think of your mom too when I hear that song. She was so unselfish and always so upbeat, no matter what she was going through. And this time of year, especially with her birthday, must be hard for you all. I am so glad you are continuing on with the family traditions and making it special for all of your siblings. You are being blessed for all YOUR service and selflessness!

Love you! It was great to see you and stay at your beautiful home!

SUMMER said...

I am so behind with looking at everyone's blogs! This entry was so sweet. Your mom was awesome! I love that first picture of her... it totally looks like Avaree!

Me said...

Karlin, what a sweet tribute to your mother. I know how much you love her! You are an amazing woman and such an inspiration to me. I'm sure your mother taught you all those wonderful characteristics you have.

I love that picture with the bandanas...what a treasure to have.

I've still got a card to send to you. It's been a crazy week I hope to get them off on Monday!

Take Care,
Liz

Tristie hearts Dax said...

So cool. Love all the perfectly expressed emotions! I can tell your little heart misses your mama like crazy and it makes me miss her for you, too. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pics!